Saturday, May 22, 2010

{ the knitting road trip }



So, I was nosing around Ravelry as usual {if you knit/crochet and don't know what it is, go. Now. Sign up. It's FREE. You'll thank me!}, and I received an invite to join a group for the April Showers Bring Yarn Flowers shop hop that was scheduled for this weekend in MN. At first I shrugged it off because I was supposed to be out of town, but when my plans changed I KNEW this road trip was on! The hubster told me he was watching the girls and sent me on my merry way. Let's start at the beginning.

The drive to MN from Eau Claire involved me in the car with my saucy GPSpouse that tends to be a wee bit too demanding at times. She's always forgetting to tell me when exactly my 200 yards is up and I wind up hearing "when possible, make a legal U-turn...." waaaaaaaaaay too much. Oh, and it also involved lots of off-key singing to music I only listen to when Scott's not in the car. Yes. Girly road trip music! My first stop wasn't on the actual shop hop, but it was on my own personal "Shop I MUST Visit List".



darn. knit. {anyway} is located in Stillwater, MN and it most definitely lived up to my expectations. Lots and lots of yarn {ZOMG, yarnz!} magically jumped into my bag to come home and live with me. I will most definitely be back! It was lovely to get to actually squish in person so many of the yarns I've debated on purchasing online. In addition to yarn, she carried a lovely selection of boutique fabrics and fabulous gift items made by local artisans. ♥ I spent at least 45 minutes there and could have spent more if I didn't have such a large day planned already.

Now, on to the actual shop hopping....



Amazing ThreadsColdwater CollaborativeNeedlework UnlimitedSheepy Yarn ShoppeThe YarneryZandy's Yarn Etc.

I had an absolute blast! Okay, so the bumper to bumper construction traffic for most of the trip was not cool and finding a spot to park near The Yarnery in St. Paul was quite daunting {I ended up walking at least 5 blocks}, but it was so worth it. These are the times it probably would have been entertaining to have another person with to help ease some of the tension by acting silly. However, I got to check out six shops that I had never been to before and bring home lots of goodies to knit up for my family. I also picked up a toe-up sock book that I've had my eye on for some time and can't wait to knit the pair of socks that Samantha picked out for herself. I made it to the last shop with about 15 minutes until close! I turned in my stamp card, hoped for the best and headed home. My kids were certainly happy I was finally home and I think the husband might have been too. harhar!

And don't think I've been out playing leaving my poor knitting by the side of the chair! There's been plenty of work done too.

This is a hat I've started for myself called wurm by katushika. I'm knitting this in Becoming Art's colorway called Violet Hour on her cielo sport base. Major big puffy ♥.



And this little beauty was part of a KAL in the Becoming Art group on Ravelry. It's called Citron and was an awesome knit. There was enough going on in the pattern to keep it interesting, but it was totally acceptable as a TV project too. Love how it turned out and I've been wearing the tar out of it ever since I finished. This too is a Becoming Art yarn, 1/4 Moon on her cielo fingering base.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Status Updates

all images and content copyright kate bentley and kate bentley photography. unauthorized usage or duplication is prohibited.

kate bentley is a lifestyle photographer located in the Eau Claire, WI area and open to travel. my photography sessions take place in your home or a location of your choosing. for more information, contact kate by emailing her at kate@katebentleyphoto.com

www.katebentleyblog.com